Tuesday, September 4, 2012

God's Good Gifts

In my daily times with the Lord, I have been encouraged to begin making lists of thankfulness-gifts from God, gifts from others, everyday "little" things I am thankful for and so on.  My goal is to cultivate gratitude in my life for the many gifts the Lord gives me.  I look forward to this each day, meditating on Scripture and then writing out my list for the day.  I have noticed a change in my attitude when I am feeling ready to complain or whine about something, the Lord reminds me of these verses and points me back to gratitude and what he has done for me.

Ephesians 5:20-"...giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ..."
Psalm 107:1-2-Oh give thanks to the Lord for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!
Psalm 103:1-5-"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!  Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.  

Here is the beginning of my list of thanks that I pray continues to grow and grow:
I am thankful for...
1. The Gospel of Jesus Christ
2. A Savior, who has redeemed my soul.
3. Unconditional, never-ending, always and forever love from my Savior, Jesus Christ.
4. God's mercies that are new each day.
5. A beautiful, happy, and content baby boy.
6. A godly, selfless husband, who loves and serves me each day.
7. Godly parents who taught me the ways of the Lord.
8. The Lord's sustaining grace.  When I need rest, he always provides it.
9. Sunrises and sunsets.
10.  Daily, morning walks with my family.
11. My sweet dog, Lacy, who sits by me on the couch every day as I read and pray.
12. God's daily provision for our needs.
13. The gift of staying at home each day with Nathan.
14. The joyful laughs from my son as I tickle his belly with my head.
15. God's Word, which refreshes my soul each day.
16. Nathan's smiles and kicks each time I pick him up from a nap.
17. Family days in Memphis.
18. The encouragement and prayers of friends and family.
19. The opportunity to tutor a child in a subject I love, reading.
20. Michael giving up time at work to watch Nathan so I can tutor.
21. Daily sanctification in my walk with the Lord.
22. Nathan, who makes me smile each day because of the joy he finds in the smallest things-playing with a coffee cup collar, playing with the dog's paw, kicking his legs, pulling his colored rings off the stand, playing inside a box with different fabrics and materials.  
23.  Time to workout at the beginning of the day.
24. Saturday morning pancake breakfasts.
25. A rainy day that we so much needed.
26. Candles to perfume the house.
27.  The upcoming season of fall-my favorite!!
28. Opportunities to give to others-Teacher Survival Kits to all the elementary teachers
29. My niece, Harper Kate, who just turned 9 months old.
30. Consistent, uninterrupted times with the Lord lately.
31.  Sunday afternoon naps.
32. A Chai tea latte from Starbucks
33. Money to eat out every now and then.
34. Time to talk and spend time with Michael each night.
35. Watching Nathan try and lick a candle when I put it in front of his nose to smell.
36. Watching Nathan working so hard to crawl. 
37.  Catching up and talking with family and friends.

May God's good gifts continually be on the forefront of my thoughts!  "For the Lord has done great things for us and we are filled with joy!" Psalm 126:3

2 comments:

  1. Sheryl,
    Your blog is great! I'll look forward to keeping up with you all this way too :) I've really seen the Lord work as I've been keeping a similar list. I only wish I'd started it in a journal maybe, or kept a notepad nearby as I know there are more little things that I fail to remember by the time I sit to record them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! I have really enjoyed reading your blog lately, and I got inspired to start my own. I have always enjoyed journaling, but have not really taken the time to do it the past several years. I figured this would be a great place to record some of those things I learn and keep track of fun family things. I started a thankfulness notebook recently after reading the book, Choosing Gratitude, so I can record things each day. Otherwise, I too, forget so easily what those little things are. It has been really great to be reminded each day to dwell on the blessings instead of complaining, as I tend to do all too often:)

      Delete